Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Opinion 174: Salesmanship




Thanks, Ancient Faith Radio.


You know, it's not really the attempt to sell this or that that bothers me - monks have always done that...well, always is a long time, but you know what I mean.  Rather, it's the aesthetic.  Stealing a complaint from the Ochlophobist's (who doesn't write anymore, just so you know) playbook:  it's the pious background, the woman kneeling in veneration; men in strange hats; candles.  Buy monastic, because monastic is the key to warm religious feelings wrapped in an alluring "eastern "environement.

Perhaps I'm just sensitive.

Anyhow, they've got some good deals on candles and prayer ropes.

6 comments:

  1. A poem:

    Buy Monastic!
    It's fantastic!
    We never use plastic!
    Buy Monastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend this for the serious monastic aficionado:
    http://www.istok.net/greek-great-schema-megaloschema.html

    You could wear it to the parish not-halloween costume party where they have the kids dress up like saints.

    Glad to know that nowadays when a monastic is promoted to a schema monk the first thing he does is go online to see how much a megaloschema is going to hurt his PayPal account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I've told my wife that I simply cannot be happy until we have one of these for me to sit in at our dining room table:

    http://www.istok.net/bishops-throne-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! MayGod utterly smite the church that allows you near that throne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was a joke. Then I went to AFR's home page. Shit. WTFiloque??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote to AFR. The Monastery created the ad, not AFR. Interesting....

    ReplyDelete